Who is Joel A. Barker?
I’m a husband & father who loves Jesus and His story. I love to hang out with my beautiful wife, Tina and my four fun-loving boys, Zach, Elijah, Jaxon, & Toby. I also love to study and teach Scripture. I believe my primary calling is to my family. In addition to that, the Church is a passion of mine as well.
I love writing. I feel like it’s one of many callings in my life. From 2008-2012, I used my writing ability to in the sports world. I had a blast covering football and baseball games. However, in April 2012, I felt the call of God to a deeper involvement in ministry—writing included. Little did I know that was just the beginning of a wild and crazy journey that would test my faith in ways I didn’t know possible. Over the next four years, God opened doors for training & education in order to equip Tina & me for the journey.
For 10 years, I was a worship pastor and teacher in my dad’s church in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In 2017, my wife & I felt the call of God to sell everything and move to Middle Tennessee to plant a church. More about that in a minute.
I write about revival, missions, and the Kingdom. From time to time, I’ll write a book review and I may even cover something important in the news. Chances are, I’ll even throw in some commentary from the front lines of this church planting adventure we’re on. I hope you’ll keep coming back for more!
What is a Momentum Catalyst?
So, about that whole church planting thing. When we moved to Murfreesboro, Tennessee in July 2017, God placed the words momentum and catalyst on my heart. Momentum City was to be the name of our church, along with Project Momentum as our non-profit name. Consequently, our vision for Middle Tennessee is to spark or catalyze spiritual momentum in the region. I believe the key to true spiritual momentum is found in Scripture and fellowship with the Spirit of God and the community of believers. Follow the link for more on Momentum City.
11 random facts about me
- My wife, Tina, and I were married on May 11, 2002, in Rupert, West Virginia.
- Tina is a remarkably gifted creative artist. You can check out her work at tinalbarker.com
- Needtobreathe is my favorite current band, but DC Talk will forever be my favorite band of all time.
- I am a long-suffering University of Tennessee Vols fan—football, baseball, and basketball. Go Big Orange!
- Podcasts are one of my preferred pastimes. Among my favorites: The Carey Nieuwhoff Leadership Podcast, Smart Passive Income, and Poddy Break.
- We are a baseball family. My oldest boy Zach is turning into quite the pitcher.
- Major League Baseball is my favorite sport. Let’s go Braves!
- I read a lot of A.W. Tozer, N.T. Wright, & Mark Batterson.
- Superhero movies are my favorite. I like both Marvel and DC, but that’s probably not allowed.
- I once tried out for the Cincinnati Reds. Did I mention we like baseball?
- Finally, my four boys are quite talented. Zach wants to be an MLB pitcher; Elijah an astrophysicist; Jaxon loves anything ending in -ball, and Toby is my little comedian/politician/fundraiser.